Sunday, June 26, 2011

Songs Of Deliverance

You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.  Selah
Psalm 32:7

First off, to the one person who has been told about this blog, I totally got the address wrong. Hopefully you found it through my profile. 

Now that that is taken cared of, let's move on. I have a friend who thinks I am odd. I have lots of other friends who think I am weird, but this particular friend calls me odd. I love her for that. She never harshes my squee, and always co-signs on my craziness. May you have that person in your world. And she can do that, because she's odd. I guess you could say we march to the beat of our own drum. As long as it lines up with God and doesn't cause others problems, we do what we do. 

A few years back, I sent an email about having a really annoying song in my head. And when she agreed that it was annoying, I told her I always have music going in my head. That was when I was first labelled odd. And most times I do. So when I first understood Psalms 32:7, I got what was going on. 

Many Christians sings songs of praise (probably off-key, like me), but for the right song to come in your mind right when you need it, that's God. I love Him for that. And truthfully, it's not always a gospel song. Like when I was going around singing "Name it/Claim it/Believe it," Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me Lately" soon followed. Have you heard about God's sense of humor? I would get up with a song of praise, and it would stay with me all day. And when I was working in hostile situations, "Jesus Be A Fence" would come on in full force. 

Of course, it could just be me. I could truly be an odd person. But I happen to believe that when David said God surrounds me with songs of deliverance, well, doggone it, that is what is happening. And I thank Him for it. It tells me that I am not alone. It is that pure, unadulterated truth that He is there for me. And I need that, and I know others do as well. 

I so understand wanting God to be like Harry Potter, and abracadabra, my problems are solved, but He does what He wants to do when He wants to and how He wants to do it. In the meantime, I get the reassurance. And think about it, wouldn't you rather have a song of deliverance than that annoying song? And if you have never experienced it, it's fun, insightful and can also be a warning. I truly believe there are no coincidences, so when it comes on, I toe the line.  

But if you find it odd that this happens to me, don't worry you are not alone. If it happens to you and you just never thought that there was a verse that backs you up, well, here you go. And you are not alone. We can be odd together.

Stay encouraged and blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment