Sunday, July 17, 2011

This Just In: Worry Can Make You Sick!

Do not fret--it only causes harm.
Psalm 37:8b

When I was younger, I did not worry. I caused other people to worry, but I didn't worry. Then before it became the fashionable thing to do, I lost my job. And the next thing I knew I joined the worry bandwagon. But worry ain't doing a thing for me. My pity parties are not fun. I am attracting the wrong people, and now I hear worry can make me sick?! No, I need off that bandwagon. It ain't for me. How about you?

It must drive God nuts when we constantly bombard him with pleas. All throughout the bible we are admonished to not worry. We are told to seek other things. Worried? Forget about that. Seek His wisdom. Why are you fretting when you should trust God? 

I have heard it all before. I have even said if you are worried, you are not trusting God. In 2009, I was so strong in my thinking that God will provide that my friends thought I was losing my mind. (I am not saying I am this big dog strong Christian, but I had to have my mind made up, you feel me?) We all watched with baited breath as time ticked away, and services was cut off. Then another job came through. Like I said, He was either going to save me or He wasn't. And if He didn't, blessed be the name of the Lord.

Matthew 6:34 (NKJV) tells us: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own troubles. I remember back then when my friends thought I was nuts, I had a conversation with one of them and at the time she told me about that verse. I had no idea why she gave me that since I wasn't worried. If she heard worry in my voice, then thank you. But I was standing my ground. So, in my mind, I was not worried.

Flash forward two years, and I am standing on His word. It is hard out there for everybody, but I look at others who have lost or were losing everything, and how they worked through the worry. I think of the woman and her sons when her husband died and the bill collectors came to collect everything including her sons. She believed the prophet of God when he said get all of your oil, and sell it. The oil never ran out and all of the bills were paid. Each of us need to listen to what God is saying. Christ told us to not let our hearts be troubled, but to trust in God and trust in Him (John 14:1). 

The widow and her son had just enough food to have one last meal, when Elijah was sent to her. And he told her she would not run out until it rained again if she took care of him. I am not saying run out and make sure your pastor has food. I am saying it is all in God's hands. (Sometimes you have to make it clear, cuz you know.) 

You don't even have to pray about it. Sometimes I feel like God isn't there, when in fact, He's probably closer than He's ever been. Yeah, I did join the bandwagon, because a few of my avenues had been cut off. But I forgot. That seems to be a trend for me. I keep forgetting His blessings, and seriously, how? I waver, and maybe it's just me. (You all got it goin' on, so just give me a sec and let me continue assuming we all worry.) We waver, in spite of all that He is done. Behaving just like the children of Israel when they were in the desert. There was manna and quail. There was a cloud during the day, and a pillar of fire at night. They still had moments of disbelief. They saw the Red Sea part. They walked on dry ground while fishes flew by their heads. But they had their doubt. They questioned. They murmured and complained. They also got left in the desert. 

So I read about them, and I go over His promises, and when new scripture is illuminated for me like Psalm 37:8b, I get my mind back in order, and stand on His promises and give Him praise for what He's done; what He's going to do; and because He is God. I remember those God has helped throughout the bible, and I take myself back to when He helped me. I remember and I am back to my "crazy" ways. He has it under control. 

How has God helped you? Who are your witnesses? Do you sometimes forget? is it just me?

Be encouraged and blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment