Friday, October 14, 2011

Is Your Foundation Secure?

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12 NKJV
(Back To The Basics - Word of God by Mark Taylor creationswap.com)


There are times when being unsure is okay. When you are listening to a sales pitch, then by all means, be unsure. Take the time before you make the purchase. Not knowing if the person you want to marry is the right one, by all means, slow it down, pray on it, and be sure.

But what if you know nothing about refrigerators, and what Dave the sales guy at your local Walmart said sounded really good? And hello, it's Walmart? And you've been with this woman for two years, and so far so good, so why not marry her?

It does not take much today to get the information you need. There is a thing called Google or maybe you want to use Bing, and just because Home Depot does not have the same prices as Walmart, it does not mean you cannot go there and get information.

In my world, information is golden. I love to learn more. People who supply me with information (and cake) are treasures in my world. Google and I are great friends.

Over the past few months, despite no job in sight, despite being on the verge of losing all of my belongings, I stood on the knowledge that God would supply all of my needs. Why? My foundation had been set. There is no way I can be persuaded from that, because 1) God's word said He will provide my needs, and 2) God has done it before.

When I think about everything God has done, and I read all the scriptures, I solidify my foundation and build it up. First, Christ is the rock to begin. Reading God's word is a great way to build up your foundation. You might not be confident in a lot of things, but just knowing what God says about your situation is a start.

What happens when you have a great foundation? Your stand is firm. I remember a Sunday School teacher was telling the class about an encounter she had with someone who was trying to convince her that her belief in God was stupid. They went back and forth before she finally told the man, "I'm not changing my mind. You cannot convince me." I know some people who would have not stood their ground.

Or they would begin to agree. One evening I was talking with a few of co-workers, and the guy who did not believe in God started saying things and our mutual co-worker, who I thought was a Christian, began to agree. I looked at him like he was crazy. Was it really that easy to change his mind? His cousin, who also worked with them and was a Christian, called him on it and they soon walked away to have a quiet conversation. The nonbeliever then turned to me and he remarked that I wasn't agreeing with him. I told him it was because he was wrong. I felt it wasn't worth arguing over because he wasn't changing my mind and I wasn't changing his.

There have been times when things come out and it shakes some Christians to their very core. An event that comes to mind is the false teacher, Harold Camping and his end-of-the-world nonsense. I worried about his followers. If they had a stronger foundation, and had even read God's word concerning the end of times, then when May 22nd came, they would not have been shocked because they would have saw the man for what he was: false.

It saddens me when people walk away instead of just sitting down and reading God's word for themselves. It angers me when people take everything said at face value, instead of seeking God for the answers. He wants to tell you, just ask and read His word.

Strengthen your foundation. Read and study His word. Then you won't be easily swayed or dismayed. You will then stand firm and you will be convinced of God's influence in your life.

But his delight in in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:2-3 NKJV

But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does. James 1:25 NKJV

What word of God forms your foundation?

Be Blessed and Stay Encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment