Monday, August 1, 2011

When Others Have Failed, God Won't!

for in Him we live and move and have our being . . .
Acts 17:28a NKJV

Yesterday, I could not find scripture to back what I wanted to write about. After the "great" news this nation received last night, I woke up this morning and Acts 17:28 was on my mind. I had no issue in previous posts of just giving partial scriptures, but I want to provide the whole thing today, particularly because of the news we got last night.

And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though he is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.' Acts 17: 26-28 NKJV

Place all faith and trust in Him. Does it hurt to trust God? Yes. Tremendously so. These are uncertain times. It's perilous for many people. A lot of people were living paycheck by paycheck. And then they lost their job. There are plenty of folk who lost jobs and worked in a dying field. All that experience and no one is hiring them. Christians are no different, but we got a loophole. Think about those Christians you know who every Sunday, or whenever you see them, always have a kind word for each person they see. They are always the first up to shout and praise God. They always give a cheer when it's offering time. It happens every single time you see them. Why? They live for God. They have learned that despite all the wrong in their life, they can still and must still praise God. 

I think what trips people up in their walk with God, is thinking that when trouble comes, He is going to swoop in like Superman and save the day. But that is not happening for some.  So what do you do? Well, what else can you do but wait on the Lord. Hard isn't it? 

I wrote about Acts 17:28 a few years ago, and I feel it still applies today.

As most of you may know, I have been on a serious job hunt since July, and I've questioned my pursuit of being an entrepreneur. But what I've come to understand is that I placed my hope and faith in the wrong things. What I would do is send in a resume, and start dreaming of life anew. And heaven help me, if I thought the job was easy because then why wouldn't they hire me?!! And how dare they if they didn't?!!!

But with all the junk I was going through, I happened upon a scripture that I heard of and probably read a long time ago, but it was just illuminating to me during that time. 

    For in him we live, and move, and have our being; (Acts 17:28a)

If it is in him that I live and move and have my well being, then I must place my hope and faith in Him. So, whenever a job came along that I really wanted, I prayed that I would get but placed my hope and faith in the Lord that He would take care of me. If I got it great, if not, oh well.

Everyone walking with God and living by His principles and precepts goes through uncertain times. Some a lot more than others. But the difference between a lot of us is some wallow and cry out and murmur and complain, and a few of us just smile and praise God. 

Even now I have begun doing that in all areas of my life, not just my job situation. Even though I understood Psalms 118:8, it was only recently illuminated because of Acts 17:28. So while life is topsy turvy and people are acting funny, which is more typical than unusual, my confidence must be in the Lord and not in man. We've all heard it before, one minute people like you, the next they don't, or as I like to put it, if it don't concern them, it don't concern them, so why am I wasting mental, spiritual and physical energy on wondering why or better yet, worrying why so and so is acting all funky? Or if I got this job, or if this thing is going to happen?

Seriously. If you pause for a second and look over your life, you will see that God has always provided; whether it was funds, a job, objects, and, yes, even people. Yes, we have disappointments about the one that got away or the opportunity we missed, but if you pause, you'll see it worked out, unless of course, you are still whining about it, then maybe you need to stop your bellyaching, and see your life for what it truly is. So, why stress? You may be miserable now, but it all works for the good of those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) Count it all joy!

No matter what you are going through, stay focused. Place your hope and faith in God, not somebody or something.

If we would wait on God, everything will work out. If we follow His principles, and put our trust in Him, your walk becomes stronger, and then you will find yourself able to praise and glorify Him no matter the situation.

Has He been testing your faith and trust in Him? How did you get through your uncertain times?

Be blessed and encouraged!

This was also on my mind this morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment