Friday, June 8, 2012

Watch What You Say!

Death and life are in the power of the tongue. Proverbs 18:21a
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV

©sippakorn FreeDigitalPhotos.net


A few days ago, I was handed a printout called "My Never Again List." I found it an interesting read, and was going to reproduce it here, but then I remembered it was probably copyrighted somewhere. So I Googled it, and lo and behold, the list was written by Don Gossett of Don Gossett Ministries. Here is the link to the page.

Disclaimer: Seeing as all I did was find this particular piece, this is no endorsement of Mr. Gossett's ministries, nor am I against his ministry. I just did not take the time to go through his website. Plus, I liked what I read.

We've all done it before. And most time we don't know we've done.

"I'm such a ditz."

"I just can't do anything right."

"I don't have the strength to do it.

"I can't get hired in that position."

We make these confessions about ourselves, not knowing the power of our spoken words. Sure, enough of us only think these things, but enough of us actually speak these things. I usually correct people when they call themselves dumb or stupid. But I've been known to call myself stupid every now and again.

What we speak is incredibly powerful, and we need to get our acts together, and watch what we say, both to other people and ourselves. That's why confession of our faith is truly powerful. Confessions of sins, too.

But a few of us just confess the wrong things. Calling yourself stupid for one measly mistake? Stop. I don't care if you've never gotten something right in your life, if you don't change what you say, you never will. It's because of what you are saying that you've never gotten anything right. Get it?

On Don Gossett's list, he wrote, "Never Again will I confess weakness for "The Lord is the strength of my life," and "The people that know their God shall be strong and do exploits."

I thought because of my physical ailment, I was down for the count. I had made an attempt and found it to be exhausting. But I stopped that train of thought, and said, with God all things are possible. First, the reason why it was exhausting was because it was too soon. And secondly, so what? Just cause it was exhausting doesn't mean I should give up. Whatever you are allowing to hold you up, stop letting it get the best of you.

I just gave you two verses you need to make your mantra when you are feeling weak. Christ showed us how to defeat the negativity. When the devil tried to tempt him, he always countered with God's Word. We need to do the same.

The list on Don Gossett's site, can help too. And if that's not enough, open your bible and find something for your situation. Exercise that faith, and confess God's word over your life. Don't speak negative into your life, only speak positive for you and others. You have the power!

What have you been telling yourself that is hindering you? What have you been saying that have helped you overcome your negativity?

Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!

©Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment