Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nineveh Is Not Just A City

©Not Mine. Freely.com




“When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the Lord; And my prayer went up to You, Into Your holy temple. “Those who regard worthless idols Forsake their own Mercy. But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord.”
Jonah 2: 7-9 NKJV


I was reading Jonah, and as we know, (if you don’t check it out; it’s a short read) Jonah was tossed into a belly of a whale because he was being disobedient. He was supposed to warn the city of Nineveh of God’s impending judgment.

Jonah didn’t want to do that. He knew that God would take pity on them if they repented. And they did. And God spared Nineveh.

For his disobedience, Jonah spent three days and three nights inside a whale. A Whale! But once he saw how low he got, Jonah remembered the good things of God, and cried out to Him, begging for mercy. He was freed.

Jonah headed to Nineveh, and told them of their doom. The city of Nineveh fasted and prayed. They were spared.

Jonah wasn’t happy, but God does what He wants to do, when He wants to do it and how He wants to do it. Jonah had another hissy fit, but God made it plain. He does what He wants, when He wants and how He wants. I just thought I needed to reiterate that.

As I sat there hearing Jonah’s story being preached a couple of months ago, I realized that I act like Jonah did. No, I didn’t run from God and hide like he did but in my own way. I also walked in disobedience when God asked or required something of me. I would not walk in forgiveness with certain people.

But it wasn’t that I felt they did not deserve forgiveness. I felt they either would not change or they would beg forgiveness but would turn back around doing the same things all over again. Their behavior was like the city of Nineveh.

But just like Jonah, we come to a point that we need the forgiveness of God. It’s not about them. I know you have heard that before. And if you haven’t, well, it’s really not about them.

We need God’s forgiveness. He says that in order to get it, we must forgive those who have sinned against us. We have to forgive them, though they will yell and scream and fight again. You must forgive though she’s going to say the wrong thing again.

God is handling the situation and the perpetrators. And it might not look it, but they are being handled. And don’t worry about what God is doing to them. Be grateful that you are walking in obedience and most importantly, in right standing with God. Forgive them. Pray for them. Bless them.

Are you holding on to past grudges or hurts? Or maybe guilt? Let it go. You are hurting yourself.

Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment