Monday, January 8, 2024

Fight The Lies With Truth


 

Can you imagine how much shame Jesus endured as He faced that cross? He’s naked, beaten beyond recognition, and about to die a very public death. And yet He endured the shame of the cross so that we could overcome shame once for all.

That’s why the answer to shutting down shame isn’t self-help. It’s not doing good things. It’s not telling ourselves we’re awesome. It’s not ignoring our mistakes or compensating for them.

The answer to shame is an empty grave. And when we focus less on what we’ve done and more on who God is and what He’s done for us—we’re on our way to conquering shame.

The next time you’re trapped in a toxic shame spiral, convinced that what you’ve done disqualifies you from the family of God, here’s the truth you declare:

I am not ____. Because of Christ I am ____.
I am not bad. Because of Christ I am forgiven. (Romans 8:1, John 3:17)

I am not broken. Because of Christ I am loved. (John 3:16)

I am not enough, but Christ in me is more than enough. (Romans 8:37)

Whatever lie shame is telling you, shut it down with God’s truth.

Pray: God, I don’t want to separate myself from You any longer. Shame says that I’m too much, too bad, too messed up for Your love. But You say that because of Christ, I am loved, worthy, chosen, called, and forgiven. Replace my lies with Your truth. Thank You, Jesus, for conquering shame and offering freedom. In Jesus’ name, amen.  


~From Deep Clean: Getting Rid of Shame, Toxic Influences, and Unforgiveness Devotional on YouVersion

 

Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment