Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Do Not Fear The Log*!

And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but not consider the plank* in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye;' and look, a plank is in your own eye!
Matthew 7:3-4 NKJV 

* - I think of a plank as a 2x4 piece of wood, also known as a big piece of wood. That reminded me of a Ren & Stimpy skit that included a song about the log as a toy. Hee hee. It's an inside joke that makes me laugh.


"I don't understand that chick. She always fall for the same type of guy. When I try to point it out to her, she get mad at me!"

"Why is she always late? And then when she finally gets here, nothing is up to her standards."

"It only takes but a minute before he gets angry and blows up. We are always arguing and I'm tired of it."

"Why are you so stubborn?!"

That woman never uses the sense the Good Lord gave her."

That's because you always do this. Your life would be much easier if you didn't but You.Just.Don't.Get.It!"

Isn't it always easy to point out someone else's mistakes and faults? And when you are arguing, how many of us use those facts as weapons? One thing I've learned in my short life is no one likes to have their shortcomings pointed out. It's embarrassing. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't like that.

Now a few of us are okay with criticism but only when we ask for it. In my teens, I got this small poster that read "Before you give me advice, be sure I want it." People always give their two cents unsolicited and then get mad when you get mad.

During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus expounded on many things that millions feel are the central tenets of the Christian faith, and He told the people to remove the plank (aka the log-see above) out of their own eye before helping others with the speck in theirs.

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye;' and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3-5 NKJV

A few weeks ago, an acquaintance and I had an argument and as I was commenting to someone else, I realized I could be wrong. I am grown enough to admit my wrongs, so I set off on a fact-finding mission. What was revealed during my biblical search and chatting with a friend is the two of us were talking of two different things. I also realized that at this point, I needed to let go and let God. I chose to focus on my response and the need to speak the truth in love.

Turning it back to me and how I responded will help in further dealing with this person about that argument. Getting myself straight first will help get to one accord or at the least, agreeing to disagree.

Few people will pause and examine ourselves, but that is the very thing that Christ preached. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you want people to be patient with you, be patient with them. If you want people to understand you, understand them. 

Focus on that plank of yours and you'll probably surprise the other person. When you then come to them, you'll be able to speak the truth in love and your new way of dealing may help them to see the light or be less defensive. Then resolution and forgiveness will be easily attained.

How do you get rid of your log?

Be blessed and Stay encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment