Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Memories

For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given. And the government shall be upon his shoulder. And his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6
(Image: "Free Gifs & Animations" http://www.fg-a.com)



I was reading a post by author Jon Acuff, and he was wishing that his contemporary church would turn into a traditional church for Christmas because of all the Christmas traditions his former church had. Here is the link for more info.

A couple of Saturdays ago, I was attending an outside festival, and during a stop at an inn, I was met with a trio of musicians. They were playing one of my favorite Christmas classics, "Come Hither Ye Children." It made me remember Jon's post. I feel the same way, except I visit my old church where I learned most of the classics. 

While I am all for experiencing new things and new ways to celebrate the holidays, every now and again, I yearn for hearing "O Come All Ye Faithful" as a Christmas song versus singing the chorus as a praise and worship song. Sometimes I just want to sing the songs instead of hearing the jazzed up version sung by the choir.

Those songs mean Christmas done right. The focus is not on exchanging gifts. It's not on dinner. It's not the hustle and bustle. The songs cover our celebration for the birth of Christ. The fulfillment of prophecies and scriptures. That is what those songs mean to me. 

The end of the festival was going to be everyone singing Christmas carols with the band. I would have enjoyed that but sadly, I was in no shape to stand that much longer, plus my friends wanted to go somewhere else. But at least I got to hear one song from my youth and reminisce about playing bells while watching a group of children and teens play them.

As you can see, this isn't a typical post. But it's Christmas time so let's be different. Ha ha! Here are a couple videos of my favorites from my youth, including my favorite of all time, "O Holy Night."



What are your favorite Christmas songs? 

Be Blessed and Stay Encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment