Monday, October 16, 2023

Speak The Truth In Love

 


If something is true but saying it to someone will needlessly hurt their feelings, I need to be quiet. (Notice I didn’t say I need to lie and tell them something they want to hear! No, I need to say nothing.) If something is true but I know that my reason for saying it is to belittle someone or make them feel guilty, I need to be quiet. If something is true but I promised to hold it in confidence, I need to be quiet. If something is true but I know that my reason for saying it is to cause a rift between two people, I need to be quiet. If something is true but my motive for speaking the truth is to make myself look better by comparison, I need to be quiet.

If something is true and I just feel in my heart that saying it will do nothing but make me feel good, in a sinister sort of way, I need to be quiet. Bottom line? More often than not, I need to learn to keep it shut. How about you? I think I have enough duct tape for the both of us. 


~From Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All by Karen Ehman


Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment