Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Ask Jesus For Help With Your Unbelief

 


 

 And when He came to the disciples, He saw a great multitude around them, and scribes disputing with them. Immediately, when they saw Him, all the people were greatly amazed, and running to Him, greeted Him. And He asked the scribes, “What are you discussing with them?”

Then one of the crowd answered and said, “Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit. And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.”

He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.” Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth.

So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Mark 9:14-24 NKJV

Truthfully, there’s such humility in this man’s response. He has faith in Jesus. He’s likely heard of the great miracles, feedings, healings, resurrections, and the casting out of demons in others. He had likely heard the rumblings that this Jesus could in fact be the long-awaited Savior of the world. It's clear that he believed Jesus was his best chance to see his son healed and whole. So, he puts his trust in Jesus, but humbly admits his faith is not as strong as it should be. And could you blame him? This oppression has consumed his life and destroyed whatever grand hopes and dreams he had for his boy. He has faith; he believes if anyone can help, it would be Jesus . . . but after years of failed attempts to save his son, hopelessness is threatening to overtake him.

I think we can all sympathize with this man whose belief wavered in the face of seemingly hopeless circumstances. And when we experience moments like this—and we will—we shouldn’t condemn ourselves or be filled with guilt at how terrible a Christian we are. No! We must do like this man did and humbly ask the giver of everything good and perfect to give us the gift of faith in greater measure! We can say to our Savior: Jesus, I believe, but I'm weak and often struggle to see beyond my circumstances and experiences, so please help me overcome the areas of unbelief!

He can make miracles out of our mustard seeds. He can take our little faith, and our areas of unbelief, and bring healing, rescue, and help as He nurtures, develops, and grows our faith.

Pray: Father, I believe in You. I believe in Your Son. I know You are who You say You are, and You are faithful, powerful, good, and loving. I believe, and ask You to help me overcome my unbelief in the areas where I still struggle, where I’m still fearful, where I have doubt, and where I feel hopeless. Amen.  

 

~From The Study of Mark Devotional on YouVersion 

 

Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment